Sunday, September 30, 2012

Muffins


Allow me preface this by saying I am not a baker. I love to cook, but baking is its own arena. Occasionally, I like to bake breads, muffins, and cookies. Lately I have been craving banana nut muffins. I finally bought some reasonably priced walnuts so I was able to make them today. The following recipe was adapted from one I found on allrecipes.com. I replaced the butter with applesauce and added vanilla and cinnamon. They came out great!


Ingredients

Makes 1 dozen

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large bananas, mashed
3/4 cup sugar, half white half brown
1 egg
4 ounces of plain or cinnamon applesauce
1/2 cup of chopped walnuts
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pinch of cinnamon

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Coat muffin pans with non-stick spray, or use paper liners.
3. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
4. Combine bananas, sugar, egg, vanilla extract, and applesauce in a large bowl.
5. Fold the flour mixture into the wet mixture. Stir as little as possible. Only about 15 turns with a spatula.
6. Scoop into muffin pans.
7. Bake in preheated oven. Bake mini muffins for 10 to 15 minutes, and large muffins for 25 to 30 minutes. Muffins will spring back when lightly tapped.

No comments:

Post a Comment