Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Hearty and Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup

So in my house tortillas are a constant staple. I may not have bread or milk but I always have tortillas. A little strange for a young black woman living in a "chocolate city." However, when I tell people where I'm from, California, I usually a nod of understanding and the big, "OOOHHH!" A few years ago I searched for a chicken tortilla soup recipe and stumbled upon one from Sparkrecipes. Typically I use boneless, skinless chicken breast but I had chicken legs this time. I cooked it long enough so all the meat fell off the bone and I removed the skin because it floats to the top. In usual fashion the dark meat still on the bone made the soup more flavorful, but its delicious either way. I was really hungry by the time it was ready so I skipped the tortilla strips I usually prepare for store bought chips; also still perfectly delicious. Slightly modified, here is the recipe:

Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup


Ingredients
1 pound frozen chicken (boneless, skinless breast or legs)
1 large can diced tomatoes
1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce 
1 medium onion, chopped 
3 stalks of celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced 
3(14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth 
1 tablespoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon seasoned salt 
1/2 teaspoon black pepper 
1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn 
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 jalapeno or 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (if you like spice)

For garnish:
Sour cream
Shredded Cheese
Green onion
Tortilla strips (or crushed tortilla chips)
Avocado

Preparation

Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, and garlic into a slow cooker. Pour in chicken broth, and season with cumin, salt, and pepper. Stir in corn and black beans. Cover and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on High setting for 3 to 4 hours. Garnish with crushed tortilla chips, green onions, sour cream, shredded cheese, or avocado.

The great thing about crockpot cooking is fix it and forget it! Make it your own and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment