Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Last Meal

Well it obviously wasn't really my last meal, but its the last chicken box I'll eat for a while. A few years ago, after college, I gave up pork and beef (with the exception of Thanksgiving ham) and began a journey to healthier eating. I moved to Atlanta with no car just public transportation and my feet to get me anywhere I needed to be, so I immediately started losing weight and of course lead a less sedentary lifestyle. I lost between 30 and 40 pounds (not totally sure because I was always told the scale is not my friend). In 2010, a coworker and friend coerced me into joining her on her new year's resolution to workout. I was totally not into it and I never did believe in resolutions because people rarely stick to them. Anyway I reluctantly begin working out with her and another friend at the fitness center of her apartment. 

The first week was hard. After that it got easy and I felt like a different person. After only a few weeks I felt stronger, like I had more endurance. I was drinking tons of water, my sleeping habits had gotten better (probably because I was exhausted from working out), and I had more energy. Eventually my friend gave me the key to the fitness center (she had given up the resolution). I continued working out without her. Soon after that she needed to key back (it was also the key to the laundry room lol). I loved they way I felt when I worked out so I decided to utilize OnDemand ExcerciseTv at home. I went on runs, did aerobic, interval training, and stretching videos, and swam in the summer months. I wasn't dieting so I can't say that I lost weight (again no scale to be certain), but everything was tight and right, so to speak and I maintained the same size but my clothes fit better. But time passes and without that accountability buddy or just a person to encourage you to "just do it, " I lost motivation. By July, I went from working out 4 times a week to only once or twice. By August, working out and how it made me feel was a distant memory. 

I haven't been eating as well as I know I can and I've been feeling sluggish and drained. Since I've moved to Baltimore I've gotten lax on my healthy eating habits. One reason is the shear sticker shock from the cost of food. The first time I went to the grocery store I couldn't believe they wanted me to pay dollars (not cents) more for the same food I got at the grocery store in Atlanta. Its hard to find fruits and vegetables for less than $2 a pound even with sales. Ground turkey is hard to find and when I do find it its $2 more than I'm used to paying. I can always find a sale on chicken wings, legs, thighs, or leg quarters (not skinless), but struggle to get boneless, skinless chicken breast. I can buy two pounds of ground beef for $5 or a pound and a half of ground pork for about a $1.50. Another reason availability of the junk food. I had never seen so many 7 Elevens until I moved here only to be outnumbered by fried chicken and fish joints or Chinese food places (that also sell fried chicken). 

To Baltimore's credit, there are public markets and farmers' markets that have fresh local meat and produce but the prices are the same as a local chain grocer. Also to their credit most of the markets accept EBT cards (food stamps) which is great for those needing to feed their families healthy meals but where does that leave people like me who are fortunate enough to not need assistance or qualify for it for that matter, but are struggling to get affordable healthy meals on the table, even for one person. But I digress, and today I decided enough of excuses, I can make it happen. So no more chicken boxes (wings and fries), no more beef and pork just because its cheap, and no more slacking. I found my motivation and today with lettuce wrap and Jillian Michaels dvd in hand, I start anew. Now if I could just find an accountability partner . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment