Sunday, December 9, 2012

Herb & Soul


Groupon helped me find a wonderful little place in northeast Baltimore; Parkville to be exact. The concept is similar to the staple of Baltimore: the carry out. They're all over the place; sometimes two on one block serving Chinese, pizza, sandwiches, and the notorious chicken box. The twist is that Herb & Soul strives to bring fresh, sustainable meats and produce. If you cant beat em, join em right? They boast Maryland farmed, cage free chicken and eggs, grass fed beef, pork and lamb, and Maryland grown veggies. My wonderful little groupon included an appetizer, two entrees, and dessert for two. I was able to try a lot of items from their small but diverse menu. I had:

Appetizer: Chicken and Waffles
The chicken was seasoned perfectly. It was juicy and still crispy even though I got it delivered. The waffle had a wonderful sweet potato flavor and it's served with a homemade maple syrup that is to die for.

Entrées: Catfish and Pork Loin
The catfish was fresh, perfectly crisp, and not greasy at all but the cornmeal completely lacked seasoning. The macaroni and cheese was ooey, gooey, and delicious. I'm pretty sure it had nutmeg which is the "secret" to any great baked Mac and cheese. The Liberian collard greens were tender and well seasoned but entirely too sweet for my taste.

The pork loin was tender and juicy but again lacked seasoning. I could have eaten an entire pot of the green beans and I'm not the biggest green bean fan. The candied yams were tender but not sweet enough for me.

Dessert: Cranberry Cupcake
The flavor was good and it was topped with a tart frosting but the cake itself was very dry.

Overall: Good, fresh, local food. I'm going back to try their Indian fry bread taco! And if all else fails get the chicken and waffles!

No comments:

Post a Comment