Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Down Home with Mary Mac

Miss Mary Mac, Mac, Mac
All dressed in black black black
With silver buttons buttons buttons
All down her back back back
She asked her mother mother mother
For fifty cents cents cents
To see an elephant elephant elephant
Jump over a fence fence fence
He jumped so high high high
He touched the sky sky sky
And didn't come back back back
Till the Fourth of July July July . . .

There's probably no correlation between that childhood song and this restaurant but I can't help sing it every time hear the name Mary Mac. As I looked it up the lyrics to make sure I had them right I realized the ending is rather morbid. I'm not sure if ever knew the end or I just chose to forget it because I didn't like it, either way Mary Mac's Tea Room is a must when visiting Atlanta. It's cuisine is the epitome of southern comfort food and has been since 1945. 

It's fried, smothered, covered and baked to perfection. You won't be disappointed with any selection. They start you off with yeast rolls, cinnamon rolls, and cornbread that you'll struggle not to fill up on. If you haven't been here before definitely try the Brunswick stew or pot likker as an appetizer. I chose the special of the day, chicken fried chicken. It was topped with classic white gravy and served with a choice of two sides. With all the sides they have to choose from it was particularly hard to narrow it down. You can't have white gravy without mashed potatoes, so that's one but I couldn't decide on just one other after that so I got macaroni and cheese and fried green tomatoes. The chicken was tender and crispy even the next day. I've had better green tomatoes and the mac & cheese was too salty this time but that's not the norm. From previous experiences I can tell you the greens, green beans, black eyed peas, sweet potato souffle, and cheese grits are killer sides. Save room for dessert! The peach cobbler is warm and sweet with flaky, buttery crust. You can also choose from pecan pie, bread or banana pudding, or strawberry shortcake to name a few. 

No comments:

Post a Comment