Thursday, January 22, 2015

Garden Chili

Because I'm doing the Daniel Fast I was reminded of another vegetarian dish I made. A while back a friend of mine asked me to make her some chili. She requested the vegetarian version of this one, but I didn't have the ingredients for it so I concocted a new one. It was inspired by the diner style garbage plates, it may be a California thing so I'll explain. A garbage plate is when you take whatever's in the fridge that's about to go bad, dice it up in scrambled eggs and serve with or on top of potatoes (hash browns or home fries). Its to die for! Same thing with this chili. I thought about naming it garbage chili, but garden sounded more appetizing, ha ha.

Ingredients
2 cans of pinto beans
2 cans of dark red kidney beans
2 cans of black beans
1 large can of diced tomatoes
1 box (32 oz) of vegetable stock
3 small poblanos (diced)
1 medium onion (diced)
1 large zucchini (diced)
1 large carrot (diced)
1 bag (10 ounce) frozen corn
2 tbsp of chili powder
2 tbsp of cumin
1 tbsp of garlic powder
1 tbsp of onion powder
1 tsp of cayenne pepper
2 tsp of pepper
1 tsp of Adobo
1 tsp of paprika
Seasoning salt

Directions

1. Dice all the veggies before starting to cook
2. Saute onions in a dash of oil until translucent
3. Pour in the vegetable stock and add tomatillos and poblanos
4. Add spices and season to taste with salt
5. Bring to a boil. Cook for 15-20 minutes
6. Add beans and veggies.
7. Lower heat and stir occasionally
8. Simmer as long as you like, but at least 30 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment