Sunday, January 18, 2015

Daniel Fast: Mexican Red Lentil Soup




Fast is still going quite well although I have a craving for breads and pastries. I don't usually want bagels, croissants, or garlic Texas toast, and I don't keep them in the house, but suddenly that's all I want. A cheesy bread from Papa John's would be heaven right now. Or a meat lovers pizza . . . Mmmmm (in my Homer voice). Okay I digress. My willpower is strong.

I will say that this soup was extremely hard to photograph, but delicious. The fresh cilantro and lime made it pop for my Daniel fast lunches. Oh and its another pinterest find!

Ingredients

1 c red lentils, rinsed
1 T oil
1 small red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 celery stalk, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 roasted red pepper, diced
2 t chili powder
1/4 t chipotle powder
1 t cumin
1 t Adobo
1 t black pepper
1 28oz can of fire-roasted diced tomatoes
1 quart vegetable stock
1 c chopped cilantro

Directions

Add rinsed lentils to a small pot and cover with water. Cover pot and bring to a boil. Remove from heat leaving cover on pot. Set aside.

In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat and saute onions celery, and carrots.

When the veggies soften a bit add garlic, spices, and roasted red pepper. Cook another 1-2 minutes.

Dump in the whole pot of lentils along with the vegetable stock and tomatoes. Stir everything well, cover and let simmer for 15-20 minutes. Stir in cilantro and serve with fresh lime wedges.

Makes 4-6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment