Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Recipe Writing . . . First Attempt (Chili Lime)

Chili Lime Grilled Chicken Breast with warm Pico de Gallo
Ok so I have been trying for over a week to write out recipes . . . fail! The biggest struggle is coming up with measurements, mainly for seasoning. I mean who really knows how much salt and pepper they sprinkle on chicken or throw into a pot? Hats off to the people that write entire cookbooks; its so hard! I was a lot less discouraged when I came across a Rachael Ray recipe, while browsing Food Network recipes, that used terms like "palmful" and "eyeball it" lol! That's my kind of recipe!

Chili lime chicken has become a summer fav for me mainly because limes are in season and on sale. I actually just made the recipe on Monday night. Below is my first attempt at writing a recipe and I will say that its not for beginners because its not exact. Good luck and enjoy!

Ingredients

Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Seasoned salt
Pepper
Paprika
Cayenne Pepper
Lime
Chili powder

Prep

I used 1-2 teaspoons of each. Season the meat with the spices; you can use chicken breast, chicken thighs, chicken wings, or fish. Add the juice of one lime and rub the meat (don't be afraid to get your hands dirty). Let the chicken marinade over night. If you use fish just rub the spices on and cook. If you let is sit more than 10-15 minutes you'll have ceviche! If you use chicken breast the best preparation is grilling. Wings and thighs can be baked in a single layer, uncovered on 400 for an hour. Flaky fish like tilapia can be baked or pan seared while thicker fish like mahi or sword can be grilled as well.

If you want a sweeter taste and a glaze add orange juice and honey. For spicier palettes add more cayenne or fresh diced peppers.


Baked Chili Lime Wings with Spanish Rice


No comments:

Post a Comment