Monday, August 6, 2012

I Get it From my Dad . . .

Not really but my dad likes to think I get a lot of things from him including my passion for and ability to cooking.  I can say it runs in the family though. Both sides of my family are from Mississippi so it would be a crime and a shame if I didn't know how to cook lol! My father's side is from Meridian, MS nearest the Alabama state line outside of Tuscaloosa so their cuisine is traditionally southern with fried foods, gravies, and fat back. My mother's side of the family is from Picayune, MS closest to the Louisiana state line near New Orleans so their cuisine is cajun and creole with seafood, rice, soups, and stews.

I grew up cooking with my mom and maternal grandmother so I tend to enjoy the cajun and creole foods. I love to eat gumbo, shrimp creole, jambalaya, oysters, soft shell crab, etc. While I can fry chicken (which is not easy as it sounds) and can make a rue, you won't find gravy or anything smothered in my kitchen; I don't like pork chops, I can't clean or cook greens, and I hate dressing (shhhh don't tell my dad those are some of his favorite things)! Growing up in southern California with a city, not country mom (she's from San Fran) who loved to try new things, along with living in Atlanta has provided me with a different culinary point of view. I love Latin and Asian cuisine but I'll try anything once, not Andrew Zimmerman anything, but different flavor profiles and complex combinations!

With all that being said I will now shamelessly plug my father's restaurant. If you're ever in the south The Rib Shack is the best smoke house in Mississippi. 


    


No comments:

Post a Comment