Saturday, January 19, 2013

Day Two: Chowda


I've never tasted let alone made corn chowder, but as usual I had some extra cans of corn (regular and cream) that I bought on sale and wanted to use them. I looked up some recipes all over the internet but none of them seemed quite right so based on what I found I created my own. Here's what I came up with:


Ingredients

1 can of whole kernel corn, drained
2 cans creamed corn
2 small white potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 large boneless skinless chicken breast
1 medium onion
2 celery stalks, chopped
3 carrots
3 cups chicken stock
1 cup milk
Fresh cracked pepper
Two strips bacon, crisped for garnish

Prep

In a large pot, crisp bacon and remove. Leaving the bacon grease, sauté onions and celery. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and add chicken. Poach chicken then remove, let cool enough to cube into bite sized pieces. While the chicken cools, add the potatoes and carrots. When tender add all the corn, milk, and the chicken; simmer until whole corn is done. Add cornstarch to thicken if desired and season with cracked pepper. Serve in a bowl topped with crumbled bacon or green onion.

No comments:

Post a Comment