Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Breakfast on the Go


Hi my name is Raven and I'm a skipper. The first step is admitting, right? Yes I skip breakfast most of the time. You already know I always have tortillas on hand, most of the time corn, but every now and again I find a sale on flour and make quesadillas or burritos. The problem is they don't last as long as corn so I usually have to eat them pretty quickly: breakfast, lunch, and dinner quesadillas? Burritos? I do enjoy breakfast burritos and I ran across a post on Pinterest where a mom had made them all at once and froze them. Problem solved! I no longer waste half the bag of tortillas and I have no excuse for skipping breakfast because I can grab one out of the freezer, pot it in the microwave and go! I made two kinds, one with bacon and the other with chorizo.


What I used:

10 10-12" Flour tortillas
14 Eggs
5 Strips of bacon
1 1/2 Cups of southern style potatoes (frozen)
1/4 Small onion (chopped)
1/4 Small green bell pepper (chopped)
1 Package of Mexican chorizo
3 Small white or russet potatoes
1 Cup of Cheddar Jack or Mexican Cheese

For the bacon burritos (makes 5):

Cook the frozen potatoes in a drizzle of oil, add the onion and bell pepper, and season with salt and pepper. Bake or pan fry the bacon (1 strip per burrito) and rough chop. Scramble the eggs. Let everything cool before assembling.

For the chorizo burritos (makes 5):

Oven bake or microwave the potato(es). Set aside to cool. Cook the chorizo until all the grease is cooked out. Make a well in the center of the cooked meat and add 5 eggs and scramble until cooked thoroughly. Peel the potato(es), chop, and add to the chorizo mixture. Let cool before assembling.

Spoon all ingredients into the tortillas, sprinkle with cheese, and roll. Then wrap with plastic wrap, pop into a freezer bag, and freeze.

For best results warm on a low setting for 2-3 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment