Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Chicago: Tour de Food

I found a food tour on Tripadvisor before going to Chicago in April. I was there for a conference but I wanted to explore too because it was my first time in the Second City. The city is absolutely beautiful and I know why it has the name Second City; its like another New York City. It was windy of course and pretty cold for mid April but it has been cool all over the Midwest, the Mid-Atlantic and the eastern seaboard. I was ready to buy a down coat and stay forever after only visit! So much culture and history. I can't wait to go back! Back to the tour . . .

Tastebud Tours was highly rated on Tripadvisor and I wanted bang for my buck. What better way to explore the city than with food? They had a good variety of tour options. I chose Flavors of Chicago which included Chicago style pizza (discussed in another post), Chicago style hot dogs, the most famous cheeseburger in Chicago, and so much more. I bought my ticket online; after taxes and fees the cost was $50. It's a walking tour so you don't feel overstuffed and gluttonous and it that lasted 3.5 hours. The tour guide was enthusiastic and knowledgeable. Definitely worth the time and money! If you're in Chicago with no lunch plans take a Tastebud Tour.

L'Appetit

The first stop on our tour was Pizano's (read about my experience there, here). The second stop was the beautiful and historic Drake Hotel. It's a gloriously beautiful building that boasts one of the most beautiful restrooms in the world. Next we made our way to L'Appetit. A small but bustling bakery at the base of the John Hancock building. The tour included a rich fudge brownie (pictured above), but I'm not much of a chocolate eater so I bought an oatmeal cookie the size of my face and a red velvet cupcake. Both equally delicious.

Billy Goat Tavern

Cheezborger! Cheezborger! Cheezborger!
If you're looking for the In N Out or Five Guys experience you'll be sadly disappointed at Billy Goat Tavern. Very simple sandwich with meat, cheese and bread. You can top it with onions, pickles, ketchup or mustard. Make it a single, double, or triple. Add a Coke and Cheeps. That's it! I went to the original location. The food is average at best, but I'd go back just to hang out. The atmosphere is fun and the history is all over the walls.






Downtown Dogs


We went to Downtown Dogs right off The Magnificent Mile on Rush St. We enjoyed our hot dogs in Pippin's Tavern which has the same owner and is right next door. What makes up a Chicago dog? The Vienna beef hot dog, steamed poppy seed bun, neon relish, peppers, tomato slices, chopped onion, pickle, and mustard, NEVER ketchup! My first experience with a Chicago dog was perfect. I almost don't want them any other way now! I think the Vienna beef dog makes the difference.




Fannie May

Not much of a chocolate eater but the caramels are the best I've ever had. The artisan collection (shown to the right) is expertly crafted and coated with cocoa butter for a brilliant sheen. 









Heaven on Seven

The last stop on our tor was Heaven on Seven. We went to the Rush location. Their claim is "the best Lousiana cookin' outside of New Orleans." I sampled the jambalaya, which was good but nothing to write home about, and the gumbo. I could have eaten an entire pot of that gumbo and licked it clean. That's what they're famous for so I guess that's a good sign. Can't wait to get back to try some other items!

No comments:

Post a Comment