Monday, February 4, 2013

Day Eighteen: Alternative to Chicken Noodle Soup


I don't care for chicken noodle soup; I know know weird right? But this is from a women who would never eat chocolate cake but will indulge in the occasional brownie; contradictory I know. Anyway, I used to enjoy chicken noodle soup as a child but I haven't had any in years and haven't wanted any. I have always liked chicken and rice soup more than noodle soup, but of course I bought noodles on sale a few weeks ago. I bought orzo. Looks like rice but it's a noodle. Perfect! Luckily I found a Betty Crocker recipe to make an alternative to chicken noodle soup.

Ingredients
1 carton (32 oz) chicken broth
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
1/2 cup sliced carrots
1/2 cup chopped celery
3/4 cup uncooked orzo or rosamarina pasta (4 1/2 oz)
2 cups water
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1 In 3-quart saucepan, heat broth and chicken to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered about 10 minutes until juice of chicken is clear when center of thickest part is cut (at least 165°F). Remove chicken to cutting board. Skim fat from broth, if necessary.
2 Meanwhile, in 10-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion, carrots and celery in oil, stirring occasionally, until tender.
3 Add cooked vegetables, pasta and water to saucepan with broth. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered 8 to 10 minutes or until pasta is tender.
4 Cut chicken into bite-size pieces. Add chicken and parsley to soup; heat until hot. Season with salt and pepper.

2 comments:

  1. I too prefer brownies to cake, and I also like chicken and rice better as well. Obviously we were separated at birth.

    ReplyDelete