Saturday, April 6, 2013

Vegetarian Tamale Pie

I haven't had tamale pie in years. My mom used to make it when I was a kid. When I started this vegetarian kick I didn't want to just eat vegetables, especially salad. I always enjoyed this dish and I'm not sure why I didn't think to make it until now, but it turned out great. Mom used Fritos but I went for blue corn tortilla chips instead. Next time I think I'll stick with the corn chips because the baked chips I used got soggy. Feel free to add anything you like to the pie. I added poblano pepper which mom never did and I wanted to add zucchini but it went bad before I got to it. Anywho, without further ado, here's the recipe:

Ingredients

1 12oz package Trader Joe's Beef-less Ground Beef (or any brand you choose)
1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15oz can petite diced, undrained
2 cups frozen corn
1 medium poblano
1 medium red onion
5 oz blue corn tortilla chips or corn chips
2 cups shredded cheese

Toppings

Sour cream
Salsa
Green onion, sliced

Directions

1. Sauté the onions
2. Add the beans, tomatoes, poblano, and corn
3. Cook until corn is done, then remove from heat
4. Layer the chips in a baking dish
5. Pour mixture over chips
6. Top with cheese
7. Bake til golden and bubbly
8. Add your favorite toppings

No comments:

Post a Comment